At 3:45 pm on Monday, November 29, Anjali called me from the adoption agency and said, "I've got good news!" She had received my LOI (Letter of Invitation) to go to Karaganda, Kazakhstan! I said something to the effect of, "Really, oh my gosh! Wow!" She responded something like, "Wow, yes, but wait because there's something more...[hesitation, hesitation] - You have to be there by December 14!" I just laughed, I was kind of expecting something like this. I had been just on the verge of giving up on the idea of an LOI before Christmas, and was considering buying a plane ticket to Victoria for around the same time, since Mom had just broken her ankle and I thought maybe I'd better go and help out. So I called my mother and said, "I've decided that I can't go to Victoria for December 12. The reason I can't go is....I have to go to Kazakhstan for December 14." Fortunately, mom is in such a hurry to be a grandmother (finally!) that my absence for Christmas will not be much of a disappointment.
For the past two days, I have been running around dealing with paperwork and logistics - there is much to do, and time is short! I will be leaving December 11 for the long journey from Ottawa to Toronto to Frankfurt to Almaty to Karaganda, arriving the morning of December 13. I expect to be gone for 5 weeks (barring any bureaucratic glitches), then returning to Ottawa to wait perhaps a month before going back for the brief, one week second trip to pick up my child. If things run smoothly, I will be back home with my son or daughter in February.
My blog entries will pick up once I am in Karaganda. Stay tuned!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kazakhstan Tenge Converter
Hi Jen - I just want to share in your excitement and wish you all the best through this major life adventure. Safe travels, Merry Xmas and Happy New Year and keep us posted!
ReplyDeleteCheers
Louise
Yae, yae, yae! Thanks for understanding, Mom :) CS-M
ReplyDelete