Last night, I was taken out for dinner to a nice restaurant by my coordinator, Gulnara, and my translator, Alex, along with two other Canadians. We were having a send-off for the Canadian woman who is leaving today, going home with her new son. We went for a traditional meal of shashlyk, which is Kazakh grilled meat on a skewer, served with a sauce and assorted side dishes. This was also accompanied by a significant amount of Finnish cranberry vodka. I would not say that I am generally a fan of vodka, but this stuff was surprisingly tasty. I did manage to limit my vodka consumption to a quite reasonable level by quietly only drinking half a shot at a time for the first two toasts. Fortunately, no one I work with owns a car, so we always have a designated taxi driver prearranged. Like in Thailand, it is clear that here one is expected to make long, emotional speeches when giving a toast, and everyone makes their toast in turn, starting with a male guest of honour.
We had a long discussion of inter-ethnic relations, which was interesting, as the Quebecois male guest of honour (who was also given the first toast!) drew parallels between the Kazakh-Russian tensions of language and culture, and the Anglo-Francophone tensions in Canada. Gulnara, who is Kazakh, went into a long speech about the 'chauvanistic Russian' while sitting next to my ethnic Russian translator, Alex - I was afraid a fight would break out! But Alex took it in stride - I am quite sure that he has heard all of this from her before. I asked Alex how he would describe his nationality. He said, "I am Russian but I live in Kazakhstan." Russians here would not call themselves "Kazakh." Gulnara was critical of the fact that despite 20 years of independence from the Soviet Union, her Russian friends could not speak 20 words of Kazakh. We joked that learning one word per year would not be too much to ask. Everyone, of course, took all of this debate with good humour - no real risk of any fights breaking out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kazakhstan Tenge Converter
One advantage to the long say in Kazakhstan is all the rich cultural experiences! Wonderful story. Cranberry vodka sounds festive.
ReplyDeleteSo interesting...I always enjoy hearing about different cultures. Maybe bring some of that Cranberry vodka home to Canada then we could all give a emotional toast to you and your little one!
ReplyDeleteI love the long, emotional toasts! I promise (or could that be a threat?) to make one over the phone the very next time we talk, yes? Plus I'll incorporate one into Our New Year's toast this year, because you will be so missed... So happy for you, and glad that you are having what sounds like quite a rich and interesting journey! XO, Mitra
ReplyDeleteHello My Friend! Glad to hear that you are firmly immersed in the warmth of the cultural aspects of Kazakhstan. These will be great memories to share with your little one some day. I did not have your blog address at home over the holidays so I have been thinking of you daily and sending positive vibes your way. Hope that you are able to find an internet cafe close to your new apt so that we can all follow along on this incredible journey. Best of the holidays to you!! Pam xo
ReplyDelete