Sunday, January 23, 2011

Anastasia


My daughter's birth name is Anastasia, and I have decided to make this her middle name.  One day a couple of weeks ago, I was sorting out my computer files and came across a folder containing a picture I had forgotten about.  It is a picture of my great, great grandmother on my father's mother's side, which was sent to me by a relative after my grandmother died.  The picture must have been taken in Ukraine.  This is probably the oldest family photo I have.  And, as it turns out, my great great grandmother's name was Anastasia.  I am posting for you here a photo of my daughter's namesake: great, great, great grandma Anastasia!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, how amazing is that....it never ceases to amaze me how meant to be things are

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cool! Her name connects her to both her birth and adoptive families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anastasia Chovik was born in 1855, came to Canada in 1902, and died in 1919. So the picture would be late 19th century. She had 11 children, 9 of which survived infancy. Her husband was Wasel Rosychuk, and his father's name was Tanasko - 6 generations back from Adrienne.

    Rog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. And somehow, not a coincidence, I think, but rather a reflection of how this little soul, this new Anastasia, was meant to be part of your family all along.

    Mitra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! Amazing!!!!!! Very cool :-)

    ReplyDelete