Friday, January 7, 2011
The GuLag
I've had some trouble accessing my blog, but will try now to catch up on some things over the next few days.
On the Sunday after Christmas, some of my new international friends and I went on a tour of the village of Dolinka, which was formerly the administrative center of a KarLag (GuLag prison labour camp network). Although it was snowing and very cold and most of the tour took place from the van, it was an excellent history lesson. We also visited the former location of Spassk, one of the most notorious of the KarLag camps, where there now stand a series of monuments memorializing the victims of political oppression and prisoners who died here from countries ranging from France, Germany, Poland, Ukraine and Russian, to Korea and Japan. These memorials are located just off the road in an isolated spot on the steppe (dry, barren grasslands that dominate the rural landscape of Kazakhstan). The steppe tends to be very windy, and this was a bitterly cold location.
Above are some pictures of the Karlag buildings, Lenin statue, and the memorials at Spassk.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kazakhstan Tenge Converter
Hi Jen!!!! I am so happy for you!!!! Can't wait to meet your little gal and welcome her to our Ottawa Kaz gang!!!
ReplyDeleteI am really enjoying your blog :-)
Poka!
Kim ( mom to Darya and Max)
Hello Jen! Yikes it looks really chilly on the Steppes (and we have people complaining about the weather here today...sheesh!!). Loving the blog and happy to have you back able to post! Very cool pictures of your sightseeing, wish we would have done more of that when we were there. Maybe we will all go back on a homeland visit with our children some day! Wouldn't that be cool!! Pam xo
ReplyDeleteVery interesting! If you end up in Moscow at some point the Gulag Museum there is fantastic. Glad that you are learning about Kaz during your time there - what a gift for your daugther.
ReplyDeleteSharmila
Jen - I just found out about your daughter, I can't wait to meet her - I am so happy for you, what a wonderful way to start the new year! Very interesting pics .... love the blog!
ReplyDelete~ Pum
Wow, you are really getting around now....that's amazing. I wanted to do more touring this time, but harder with a 5 year old with me.....next trip as a visitor we will do more, so I will start to make notes based on places you have gone. There is a museum in Karaganda as well, I never managed to make it there, ask one of the translators....I think I have the directions somewhere if you want them!!
ReplyDeleteDiane