The judge said YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Although there is a 15-day waiting period before it is absolutely final and official, I have now legally adopted my daughter!!
My updated documents from Canada arrived in Almaty about an hour before court this morning. Unfortunately, Almaty is still several hours by plane away. Nevertheless, the judge accepted copies and my lawyer's solemn promise that the originals were on their way and would be here shortly, and granted the adoption! There were eight people in the court room, including the judge, my lawyer, my translator, the prosecutor, the baby house doctor, the Department of Education rep, a court reporter, and me. The court room was tiny - about 12 x 12 feet, and barely held enough room on the little benches for all of us (this may have been a temporary set up due to courthouse renovations). I had to make a speech. Then I was asked a lot of questions by the judge and prosecutor, along the same lines as the Department of Education interview (although there were no Kazakhstan-knowledge questions). Presentations were then made by my lawyer, the baby house doctor (who is the highest level orphanage staff member who is familiar with my daughter and my relationship with her, which she described), and the Department of Education representative, who stated that the department supported the adoption. After 40 minutes, the judge retired to make his decision. He returned 25 minutes later to grant the adoption and congratulate me.
After lunch, I went to the baby house to see my daughter. The nurse and caregiver congratulated me and made a big deal about A 'flying off to Canada'. The doctor came in and gave me a huge hug - she is one of my favourite people here, and has been wonderfully supportive.
I am now, as they say in Kazakhstan, a 'fresh-cooked mother'!! Congratulations to the 'fresh-cooked' grandma, grandpa, and uncle as well.
Although there is a 15-day waiting period before it is absolutely final and official, I have now legally adopted my daughter!!
My updated documents from Canada arrived in Almaty about an hour before court this morning. Unfortunately, Almaty is still several hours by plane away. Nevertheless, the judge accepted copies and my lawyer's solemn promise that the originals were on their way and would be here shortly, and granted the adoption! There were eight people in the court room, including the judge, my lawyer, my translator, the prosecutor, the baby house doctor, the Department of Education rep, a court reporter, and me. The court room was tiny - about 12 x 12 feet, and barely held enough room on the little benches for all of us (this may have been a temporary set up due to courthouse renovations). I had to make a speech. Then I was asked a lot of questions by the judge and prosecutor, along the same lines as the Department of Education interview (although there were no Kazakhstan-knowledge questions). Presentations were then made by my lawyer, the baby house doctor (who is the highest level orphanage staff member who is familiar with my daughter and my relationship with her, which she described), and the Department of Education representative, who stated that the department supported the adoption. After 40 minutes, the judge retired to make his decision. He returned 25 minutes later to grant the adoption and congratulate me.
After lunch, I went to the baby house to see my daughter. The nurse and caregiver congratulated me and made a big deal about A 'flying off to Canada'. The doctor came in and gave me a huge hug - she is one of my favourite people here, and has been wonderfully supportive.
I am now, as they say in Kazakhstan, a 'fresh-cooked mother'!! Congratulations to the 'fresh-cooked' grandma, grandpa, and uncle as well.
Kazakhstan Tenge Converter
Congratulations Jen! Fantastic news. You will be a wonderful mother to A.
ReplyDeleteWow, three years later and we are now grandparents! An amazing journey. So much love to give this child.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to a fresh cooked mom!!!! I am so happy for you. The best things in life are SO worth waiting for eh?!
ReplyDeleteAre you heading home or staying the entire time?